Farrow, Ab Elevator Burned Down

8 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Attrell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 4,577 posts
  • LocationShaunavon, SK

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:17 PM

Got word they burned the Farrow elevator last week. It's history!

#2 bobthetog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:05 PM

Man was I shocked when I drove up there today, only to find a smouldering heap of ashes. I will post a few shots later.

#3 Chris Attrell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 4,577 posts
  • LocationShaunavon, SK

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:02 PM

I bet!

Great shots by the way, were the tracks still intact or did they pull them out of there?

#4 bobthetog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:29 PM

The tracks are piled up ready to be shipped out. Jon Goss the landowner told me that a local business (aspen crossing) has purchased an old locomotive, and plans to lay 7mls of track from Mossleigh,which will run past the site, He was petitioning Jon to save the elevator, as it would have been a nice feature for the train trip.
Jon told me he had cows that were getting into the vator and was concerned for ther safety.
He was obviously upset with the decision to torch her but as he said "nothing last forever".
I asked him what he was going to do with the old drive pulley wheel from He engine house, and he said its going for scrap.
I told him I thought it would make a nice yard feature, and he agreed, so theres a little piece of history saved!

#5 Haunted

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:32 PM

If Jon is the same man I met at Farrow about seven or eight years ago there might be other reasons why he torched the elevator. I know from my brief discussion with the man I talked to that he was concerned about people going onto the Farrow townsite, which he owned. There was a bee farm there. He allowed me to go in but he gave me a rather stern warning about smoking on the property. We also can not forget that two years ago every other trace of the townsite was obliterated, including the remaining derelict houses, the fallen general store and the community hall on the rise. I think the landowner even removed the communal well that was in the field in the shadow of the hall. The only thing left of Farrow now are memories.

#6 Chris Attrell

Admin

• Administrators
  • 4,577 posts
  • LocationShaunavon, SK

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:32 PM

That would be so cool if they opened a short train line for passangers! Wow that would be a lot of fun. I hope it works out.

I am sure the land owner was very upset with the people who would come into his town. It was probably difficult for him to keep people out. He probably shoudl have placed a no tresspassing sign or fence. Sad that is all gone now, it was a classic place!

#7 materialsguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Locationnowhere that you can burn

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

Sad but not surprised. As I said before, I had encountered people trespassing on the site in the times I had visited before. I never trepassed (only walked on the CP right of way) but everyone else did.

I have high resolution film and digital image of her (probably the only ones) so she will not be lost.

Shaun

#8 materialsguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Locationnowhere that you can burn

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

Of course this brings up the whole subject about "advertising" such places on the web. I am sorry to say that this has tipped the balance for me; anything (anywhere) else I find will remain with me and a select group.

Goodbye.

Shaun M

#9 The Vatorman

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationFalcon, CO

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

Shaun (et al) raises a very interesting point about preserving history in trade for showing peers (and the world). I (with Mike Stobbs) have regrets about Bents, Saskatchewan. It too is no longer the place it was; and may someday meet the final fate seen here in Farrow. There are many other sites which have been exposed as well which have suffered as a result.
I, like Shaun, unfortunately have, and will continue to keep certain places on 'close hold'. It is a true shame that history cannot be shared without modern perils of liability, safety, privacy, souvenir picking, theft, destruction….etc. The web has certainly brought the world to our desktops, and other technologies allow us to spy from space into locals normally hidden by fences; tempting all to get a closer look. It is a delicate balance for which we all must have a ethical code of conduct.
I will continue to 'shoot' from public lands, request to get closer and take only photographs.

Glenn