The town of Cardston in southern Alberta had three grain elevators until the early 1990s. The three were owned by the Alberta Wheat Pool and served by the CP Cardston subdivision.
The original rail line that reached Cardston was the St. Mary’s River Railway Company, built by the Galt family from Stirling, AB. It was a narrow gauge railway and reached Cardston in 1902. By 1912 it was acquired by the Canadian Pacific Railway. Service ended by 2000 and the rails were removed from Cardston. (More information)
Back to Alberta grain elevators