The Brookdale grain elevator is located between Carberry and Neepawa. The elevator was on the former CP Varcoe subdivision.
Earlier in the 20th century, Brookdale had three grain elevators: one owned by the Lake of the Woods Milling Company, one by the Grain Growers Grain Company (a precursor of the UGG), and one by the Manitoba Pool. The Lake of the Woods elevator was torn down in 1947-1948. The UGG elevator was built in 1902 by the Carberry Elevator Company and came down quite recently.
The current elevator, formerly owned by the Manitoba Pool, was built in 1929.
The elevator is now owned by J.R. Jones Farms Ltd.
Brookdale has the only remaining flat grain warehouse in Manitoba. Before grain elevators, these buildings stored the grain brought by farmers. The grain would be transferred by hand from the warehouse to the grain boxcars. Grain elevators changed this by allowing the grain to flow down from the elevator into the car, reducing the need for manual labour.
Back to Manitoba grain elevators