The Elkhorn grain elevator is located on the Canadian Pacific Railway mainline. This elevator consists of a central elevator with an integrated annex on one side, and has a capacity of 3,190 tonnes. Construction on this elevator began in June 1965.
Elkhorn is a small community near the Manitoba-Saskatchewan border. The trans-continental Canadian Pacific Railway tracks reached Elkhorn sometime between mid-April and late June 1882 on their march west toward British Columbia. Today this section of track is part of the CP Broadview subdivision.
This elevator is a former Manitoba Pool grain elevator and was the “B” elevator.
Elkhorn Train Station
Elkhorn’s railway station was built in 1904 to a fairly typical CPR design.
It was sold on January 18, 1972 and later demolished. (Photo by G.A. Moore, from Canadian Rail #285)
Other Elkhorn Grain Elevators
Elkhorn’s Manitoba Pool “C” elevator was a former Lake of the Woods elevator, built in 1892, taken over by the Manitoba Pool. This elevator no longer exists.
The Pool “A” elevator may have been one of these:
- the former Ogilvie elevator, built in 1914 to replace their flat warehouse built in 1886; or
- the former Continental elevator, built in 1925 and taken over by the Manitoba Pool Elevator Association in 1928.
Elkhorn hosts the Manitoba Antique Automobile Museum.