At one time, there were four grain elevators in Donalda, Alberta. None remain today.
The first grain elevator was the Gillespie Elevator Company elevator, built in 1911 and sold to the Gillespie company in 1912. It was acquired by UGG in later years.
The second elevator was built by the Home Grain Company in 1926, and became a Searle elevator in the early 1930s.
The Alberta Wheat Pool had two elevators in Donalda over the years – one built in 1926 and a second built in 1966 to replace it.
In 1997 there were two elevators remaining, both owned by the Pool at that time. By 1999 they were gone.
The town was built along the Canadian Northern Railway line and it was named for the the niece of one of the two founders of the Canadian Northern, Donald A. Mann.
Back to Alberta grain elevators