There were three grain elevators in the vicinity of Elva, Manitoba. One of the three Elva grain elevators was the oldest grain elevator in Manitoba until its destruction.
Lake of the Woods
The Lake of the Woods grain elevator in Elva was the oldest grain elevator in Manitoba or in the Prairies.
It is believed to have been built between 1892 and 1899.
This elevator was at least partially rebuilt around 1950, and was purchased by the Manitoba Pool Elevators in 1959 and closed in the late 1960s.
It was purchased by The Den Authentic Barnwood and was in the process of being salvaged for its materials when it caught fire on April 7, 2022 and was demolished.
The oldest grain elevator is now the former Austin elevator, now at the Manitoba Agricultural Museum.
United Grain Growers (UGG)
The nearby UGG (United Grain Growers) elevator is also still standing, although there is a large hole in the side of the elevator. This elevator was built circa 1916.
The nearby high-throughput concrete grain elevator was opened in 2000 by Agricore. The grand opening ceremony was held on July 26, 2000. The elevator had a capacity of 14,500 tonnes and 60 car spots. The elevator was purchased by Cargill Limited on July 1, 2007.
The facility was expanded around 2014 to a total capacity of 24,500 tonnes.
This elevator is served by the CP Estevan subdivision.
Other Elva Grain Elevators
- Dominion Elevator Company, purchased by Manitoba Elevator Commission in 1910, demolished 1916
- Western Elevator Company, purchased by Manitoba Elevator Commission in 1910, demolished 1916
Back to Manitoba grain elevators