The Homewood grain elevator was located between Winnipeg and Carman, Manitoba on the CEMR Carman subdivision. The last elevator was built by the Manitoba Pool in 1928. At one point there were three elevators in Homewood.
The larger annex of the Homewood elevator was demolished on August 8, 2021 at 1:07 PM. The central elevator house was toppled on August 14, 2021 at 9:41 AM.
The first grain elevator in Homewood was built by the Dominion Elevator Company in 1901. The second was built in 1902 by a local group of farmers, the Homewood Farmers’ Elevator Company.
Both elevators were purchased by the Manitoba government in 1910 and leased to the Grain Growers’ Grain Company (future UGG) in July 1912. Both ended up belonging to the UGG, which sold them to Manitoba Pool Elevators in 1974.
Back to Manitoba grain elevators