The Inglis Grain Elevators National Historic Site features the only intact “elevator row” in Canada, with five grain elevators present in their original positions.
These elevators survived due to the perseverance of the community and due to the peculiarities of rail line abandonment. Inglis was on the CP Russell subdivision, which ran from Russell to Inglis. This branch line wasn’t capable of handling heavy cars or locomotives, and it was abandoned in 1996. The elevators persisted to the end of the rail line, since they could not be replaced by a larger, more modern elevator due to the condition of the track.
The five elevators were built by:
- N.M. Paterson & Son, 1922
- Northern Elevator Company, 1922
- Matheson-Lindsay, 1922-23
- Reliance, 1942
- United Grain Growers, 1925
The elevators are painted as if they were still owned by their original companies.
The site also features the railway track “main line” and the elevator siding, as well as an ex CN steel boxcar.
Back to Manitoba grain elevators