These photos were taken by Mark’s father in the mid 1990s. CN abandoned the light 60lb rail around 1993/94, severing the link between Prince Albert and North Battleford. At the time the Superintendent for the area remarked “Prince Albert will become an island”. The goal of which was to reduce the viability of the line if they were to sell. The track itself was less than suitable for any heavy locomotive and so the lightweight GMD1s would transverse the line. Lumber from Big River and grain from Holbein were the only customers.
Saskatchewan Wheat Pool A was built in 1939 and SWP B was built in 1928.
Back to Saskatchewan grain elevators