There are two Binscarth grain elevators, one owned by Viterra and one owned by Paterson. There is also a grain handling facility, Marquette Grain, which is not in an elevator.
There was a Manitoba Pool grain elevator in Binscarth (capacity 2,460 tonnes) until about 1999, and a UGG grain elevator as well.
The Viterra grain elevator is located at the end of a rail spur north of Binscarth. This is the remnant of the CP Russell subdivision.
The elevator is a steel elevator with attached bins, with a total capacity of 8,500 tonnes. In late 2018 Viterra announced that they would greatly expand the elevator by over 30,000 tonnes and increase the railcar capacity to over 134 cars.
The Paterson grain elevator in Binscarth is on the CP Bredenbury subdivision. It has a capacity of 21,060 tonnes of grain. This large inland terminal was completed around 1995 and rendered obsolete the Paterson elevators in Inglis.
There is a small grain handling facility on the CP main line, Marquette Grain, which apparently loads producer cars.
The town of Binscarth was incorporated as a village in 1917. It was originally located three miles north of its present location, but was moved here when the Manitoba and Northwestern Railway built through the area in 1886.
The town features the St. Matthews Anglican Church, which held its first recorded vestry meeting in 1898. The chancel and tower were added in 1910. The church was refurbished in 1967 to commemorate Canada’s centennial year with new pews and floor coverings.
Back to Manitoba grain elevators