The Justice grain elevator was a former Manitoba Pool elevator that is now privately owned. The elevator stood next to the CN main line through Manitoba (the CN Rivers subdivision) but had no rail service.
The elevator had a capacity of 3,250 tonnes and consisted of a central elevator and a large annex. There was also a separate building that was used to store fertilizer, very common for country elevators.
The Death of the Elevator
The elevator was demolished in October 2018. The annex was demolished first, and the elevator came down on October 20th.
The town itself is essentially a collection of houses now. The Justice Consolidated School was built in 1912 to serve students from the area. The school operated until June 1967.
The United Church building stands in town. This building was constructed in 1910 as a Methodist church. It was moved to its present site on December 2, 1950 and held services until August 11, 2002.
The Justice grain elevator is featured as the last photo in Greg McDonnell’s seminal book, Wheat Kings – Vanishing Landmarks of the Canadian Prairies.
Back to Manitoba grain elevators