The Sanford grain elevator was located on the west side of town. It is a former Manitoba Pool, built in 1948 after the original Pool elevator (built in 1928) burned in September 1948.
The annex was demolished on January 13, 2019 and the main elevator was toppled on February 16, 2019
Sanford is on the CEMR Carman subdivision and sees a few trains a week.
The elevator was purchased by a private farming corporation. It was refurbished in 2014, with a new roof, new siding at the top of the elevator.
Siding from the elevator was used to fix holes in the coverage on the rest of the elevator and annex.
The original elevator in Sanford was built by the Canadian Elevator Company in 1904, with a capacity of 35,000 bushels. It was taken over by the government’s Manitoba Grain Elevators Commission in 1910. It was leased to the Grain Growers Grain Company (soon to be UGG) in 1912 and purchased it in 1926.