The town of Tilston, Manitoba has a pair of grain elevators. One is a former Manitoba Pool elevator and the other was once owned by the Lake of the Woods Milling Company.
The Manitoba Pool elevator was built by the cooperative #61 in the late 1920s.
The elevator has a low “balloon” annex attached to it. The elevator still has a POOL roundel attached, a rarity in Manitoba.
This former Lake of the Woods elevator has FIVE ROSES FLOUR on the side, a brand of the former Lake of the Woods company. It became a Manitoba Pool elevator (the “B” elevator) in 1959.
It’s not clear if either of the two Tilston grain elevators are still in use.
The town was served by Canadian Pacific until 1976, when a bridge near Lauder was washed out. In 2015 two tornadoes were reported in the Tilston area.
For more information, please visit this post on the Traingeek blog.
Back to Manitoba grain elevators