The grain elevator at Fleming, Saskatchewan was the oldest grain elevator on its original site in Canada. It was built in 1895 by the Lake of the Woods milling company.
The elevator eventually became part of Ogilvie Mills, then the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool (the “B” elevator in Fleming, #1164), and finally United Grain Growers. UGG stopped using it in 1999 and turned it over to the town in 2004. UGG had another, larger grain elevator in Fleming – at least in 1994.
The elevator was undergoing restoration from 2005 to 2009 to preserve this important building.
Sadly, the elevator was burned in the early morning of February 9, 2010. This act of arson was investigated and at least one person was jailed for the offence.
Historic Photos of Fleming
This postcard view of Fleming shows four grain elevators.
- Historic Places
- Regina Leader-Post story on its destruction
Back to Saskatchewan grain elevators