Until recently, there were two grain elevators in Naicam, Saskatchewan.
The former UGG grain elevator, built in 1968, was purchased by CMI Terminal and demolished on June 21, 2012 after the rail line was removed from the town.
The sole remaining grain elevator is an ex Saskatchewan Wheat Pool elevator, built in 1961.
Initially, Naicam had four grain elevators:
- Searle Grain, built 1922 – became Federal – became Pool
- Co-Operative, built 1921 – became Pool in 1924
- Province, built 1922 – maybe Reliance – became UGG – burned in 1968
- Alberta Pacific, built 1921 – became Pioneer in 1945 – became Pool in 1947
- Private elevator (built by Frank Topper), 1922 – purchased by Federal – became UGG in 1968
Reference: Gleanings Along the Way: A History of Naicam, Lac Vert and Surrounding Districts
There is a large concrete grain elevator south of Naicam, and north of Spalding, owned by CMI Terminal. This elevator has a capacity of 27,720 tonnes and has 112 rail car spots. It is served by the CP Melfort subdivision.
Back to Saskatchewan grain elevators