Wood Elevators with original signage

38 replies to this topic

#21 jd18

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 06:19 PM

Here is the website for the museum  http://www.ag-museum.mb.ca/      It is located a couple miles south of the town of Austin along highway 34.

#22 Matt Tolton

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 06:25 PM

I really wish they would take the asbestos siding off and revel the real wood underneath.  Every year at the reunion my family drives machinery there:

I drive a 1929 McCormick Deering T20 Crawler, Uncle drives a John Deere D, Other Uncle a Farmall M and my dad runs a Rumley Oilpull every year.

#23 kylercamphaug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:50 PM

Mayerthorpe still has an Alberta Wheat Pool elevator.

#24 Guest_train50ca_*

• Guests

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:24 PM

Attended the reunion in Austin this year, had a great time, very interesting. Is the silver siding asbestos or metal in this case ?  I've never taken that close of a look to be honest.

#25 railbus

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:33 PM

That's the same alum. siding that replaced the older clapboard on most of the wooden elevators. It comes in squares that measure about 18" x 18". Notice some pieces have already come off with the wind, and others are lifting from the building you pictured. This is a very common configuration on the ex-MPE buildings. Always check in the tall grass when you are around an elevator in the spring after the snow has melted and chances are you'll find a piece or two that has come off the building. This is also a pretty good clue to be careful if you're ever around an elevator when it's windy out. I wouldn't want to get hit with a piece of flying alum. sheet!

#26 Guest_train50ca_*

• Guests

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:04 PM

Interesting, I did not realize the silver covering (aluminium) was a "siding job". Being new to the prairies, I assumed they were newer elevators constructed with silver siding over the wood. Thanks for the (safety)heads up.

#27 railbus

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:23 AM

Yeah, a retrofit siding job is exactly what that is. The core construction of these elevators remained the same, just that in the 1990s the classic clapboard gave way to this newer stuff. I think this was a cost cutting/maintenance saving measure. In the old days, men on platforms that were anchored inside the buidling through the square roof hatches used to have to panstakingly scrape off the old paint and then repaint the building every few years. But that clapboard was never anything more than siding.

I think most of the HO scale models of elevators on the market right now have the old style clapboard siding. The larger Walthers wooden type elevator model has a newer style of siding but it's more of an American style. Mariapolis has that type of siding and possibly a couple others too. The siding on the elevator you pictured above does not come standard with any of the models I am aware of.

We still have a small number of buildings left with the older siding. I think the Swan Lake you snapped still has its traditional clapboard siding.

#28 jd18

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:16 PM

Yes, Swan Lake still has the original clapboard siding on it.

#29 Mike Stobbs

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:55 PM

How can you miss SWP  Stony Beach SK.

#30 extra2816

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:33 PM

How about Kirriemuir AB, still in AWP paint?

#31 Cody Kapcsos

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:51 PM

How about Kirriemuir AB, still in AWP paint?

Hey yeah that one is a classic..also the small AWP fertilizer in Pincher Station, AB and Creston, BC still has the original AWP and a somewhat really faded UGG logo. Oh and the two P&H in Milk River, AB.

#32 extra2816

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:31 AM

Right...Pincher has the AWP logo only on the north side; the south side has a big "Snott" nameboard over the former logo.

But I don't think the fertilizer logo ever had "Pincher" painted on it...I checked a photo from there I took in 1994 and only the larger elevators on either side had the station name.

Josh

#33 Matt Tolton

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:46 AM

I updated this a bit, and added some I over looked on here.

#34 railbus

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:03 AM

Oakner still has "Agricore United."

Matt, you forgot to add this one.

#35 materialsguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Locationnowhere that you can burn

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:55 PM

Couple more to throw in (better late than never):

Stalwart SK, (SWP, in very good condition)

Richlea SK, (UUG Annex, faded but readable)

Turtleford SK, (Federal-Searle, with the "S" logo)

Shaun M.

#36 Matt Tolton

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:15 PM

Oakner still has "Agricore United."

Matt, you forgot to add this one.

I understand it has been changed to Viterra recently, but if anyone knows otherwise I shall add it.

Thanks for those materialsguy, I added the,  ;D

#37 extra2816

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:22 AM

One more from yesterday:

Agricore - Forestburg AB

Josh

#38 materialsguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Locationnowhere that you can burn

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:33 PM

Adding another one:  Edmonton Elevator has a UGG logo, faded but readable, on the south side.

materialsguy

#39 KermitC

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:32 AM

Found a mistake on the list: Turtleford. It does not have a Searl it has one pioneer and a modern SWP (one of the last wood crips built). I think the person meant St. Walberg which is north of Turtleford and does still have a Searl elevator. Another elevator with perfect Searl logos is Waitville. Also Major has a SWP logo still on it. In this part of the province there are three towns within min of eachother with SWP signage.

Edited by KermitC, 10 October 2011 - 05:34 AM.